AXTELL, TX – UPDATE: According to Waco Police, the second suspect from Wednesday night’s high-speed chase and search has turned himself in to the McLennan County Jail.

He is identified as 30-year-old Trenton Smith.

Waco PD teamed up with the McLennan County Sheriffs Office, TX DPS, TX Parks and Wildlife Game Wardens, and the search team from TDC during this search.

Below is the original text from this story:

A suspect is still on the loose after leading police on a high-speed chase on Tuesday evening.

Officers attempted to arrest two men investigators say pulled off a burglary at Dillard’s in Richland Mall on Friday, but the men ended up driving off.

“As a result of trying to apprehend those two individuals, they did flee in a vehicle. So it led officers on a high-speed chase,” says Waco Police Officer Garen Bynum. 

The men drove through Bellmead, Lacy Lakeview and ended up in Axtell. 

“And at Elk Road and Martindale Lane, in that specific area, the vehicle that the suspects were fleeing in did wreck out. In the vehicle, there was stolen property found – as well as some various narcotics.”

Officers chased the men through a grassy field.

“The different agencies and officers who were out there looked for him until midnight last night until they finally suspended their search. So it went from 6:20 p.m. until midnight,” Bynum explains. 

In total, five agencies aided in the search – along with bloodhounds and men on horseback.

“And McLennan County Sheriff’s Office had their helicopter unit up, and eventually within about an hour or so, I believe we were able to apprehend one of the suspects with the help of the other agencies that were involved,” Bynum continues. “In fact, the helicopter was instrumental to my understanding in locating the first individual.”

That man, 41 year old Michael Paul Anderson, is now in jail and is charged with Evading Arrest.

Waco Police ended the search for the other man at midnight, but say he won’t get away.  

Bynum explains, “This is an individual that is local to our area. We as Waco officers do have history with him.”

Waco Police are actively still searching for the man.


A 41-year-old man is in jail while police search for his partner after a Tuesday night chase.

Michael Paul Anderson was booked into the McLennan County Jail late Tuesday night on a charge of evading arrest after he was tracked down near a wooded area near Elk Road and Martindale Road in eastern McLennan County.

A second suspect could not be located and the search was called off about midnight.

Things started about 6:20 p.m. Tuesday when Waco Police SWAT officers and burglary investigators tried to pick up two men believed to have been involved in a burglary of the Dillards Department Store last Friday night.

When the suspects were located in the East Waco area, they fled officers in their car.

The chase went from East Waco into Lacy Lakeview, then into Bellmead and east out Highway 84.

They then at some point turned south onto rural roads and finally wrecked out near Martindale and Elk Road.

The two men then fled on foot.

Anderson was caught fairly soon, but the search for the second man soon expanded to include deputies from the McLennan County Sheriff’s Office, DPS troopers, Parks and Wildlife game wardens and Texas Department of Corrections officers using bloodhounds and men on horseback.

The McLennan County Sheriff’s Office also provided a helicopter to help in the search.

The identity of the second man has not been released as of Wednesday morning, but police say because of his past history it is believed he is armed and should be considered dangerous.


Source link