Forsyth Free Tax, a program of the Experiment in Self-Reliance, will be offering free tax filing assistance starting next week at various locations. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program is for people making $54,000 a year or less.

Participating sites will be:

  • Experiment in Self-Reliance, 3480 Dominion St., 336-722-9400, Mondays-Fridays 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., starting Jan. 22;
  • Career Connections and Prosperity Center South, 508 Waughtown St., 336-761-1458, Mondays and Wednesdays 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., starting Jan. 29;
  • Goodwill Industries, 2701 University Parkway, 336-724-3625, Wednesdays and Thursdays 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., starting Jan. 23;
  • Mi Casa Servicios Hispano-Latino, 1350 E. Sprague St., 336-638-1705, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. by appointment only, starting Jan. 22;
  • Goodwill Industries ROC, 2760 Peters Creek Parkway, 336-201-0800, Tuesdays and Thursdays 4 to 8 p.m. starting Jan. 22;
  • Forsyth County Health Department, 799 Highland Ave., 336-703-3210, Tuesdays 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., starting Jan. 29;
  • Forsyth County Central Library, 660 W. 5th St., 336-703-2665, Saturdays 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., starting Jan. 26;
  • King Public Library, 101 Pilot View Drive, King, 336-983-3868, Tuesdays 3 to 8 p.m. by appointment only, starting Jan. 24.

Participants are asked to bring a picture ID, Social Security card for themselves and each dependent they are claiming, all W-2s and/or 1099s, 1095-A if they bought health insurance through the Health Care Exchange, employer ID number or social security number of child-care providers, and last year’s tax return if available. If they want direct deposit of refunds, bring a check or savings account information.

Forsyth Free Tax also offers online tax services at myfreetaxes.com for individuals making less than $66,000 who want to prepare their own taxes.

For more information, visit www.eisr.org or call 336-722-9400 or call 2-1-1.

The Tax Aide program of the AARP will also be starting up in February.

Q: I live in Pinnacle, and have several neighbors who have piled their trash high in their front yards. I have complained but the county said there is little they can do until it becomes a health issue. What can I do?

Answer: In Stokes County, the Planning and Zoning office handles trash complaints. A zoning officer was going to look into the matter. Trash complaints can be filed with them at 336-593-2444.

Q: We have had no pickups from North Davidson Garbage Service for two weeks, and their telephone lines are always busy.

Answer: Brad Everhart, the owner of the company, said that a number of factors — including larger Christmas volume and the aftermath of a fire at their facility last year — led to some delays, but that the company is working to rectify the problem. As for the busy signal, he attributed that to a problem with their phone system but said they are adding lines to help.

If you cannot reach the company by phone at 336-731-4025, you should try to contact them by email at questions@ndgarbage.com. We forwarded your complaint and address to the company, so you may have heard back from them by now.


Source link